Tony and Maree have been operating their Christchurch bed and breakfast, art gallery and guiding business in Christchurch for many years. They are passionate about the unique history, gardens and culture of this city. They both grew up in Christchurch, were educated there, and enjoy sharing
their detailed knowledge in a most entertaining manner. Maree has had experience as an art gallery director for over 25 years, and is regularly called upon by the art establishment for marketing advice, valuations, lectures to art groups, as well as historical and biographical consultation on New Zealand's foremost artists. Tony has drawn together the most popular features of all of his touring experience and has combined it with Maree's art knowledge so together they can offer the ultimate Christchurch region art, garden and sights day trip.
- Tony will pick you up from your Christchurch accommodation for an overview of city highlights including Mona Vale with river drive and the best homes in Christchurch, Canterbury Museum, Botanic Gardens, and the unique Gothic Revival buildings of the old University site, now transformed as the Arts Centre of Christchurch
- Coffee and mufﬁns at Tony and Maree’s home, “The Worcester of Christchurch”, a beautifully restored 1893 Victorian Heritage property on Worcester Boulevard, now operating as an art gallery. Maree will illustrate New Zealand’s rich art history as well as guiding guests on a Tour of the new city Art Gallery.
- Take pleasure in an inner city tour before making your way to the extraordinary “Sign of the Takahe” for a view of the city from above
- Enjoy the beautiful drive over the hilltop, to the original French whaling village of Akaroa. During the summer season a stop can be made at one of the magniﬁcent private gardens en route to Akaroa.
- Lunch in Akaroa. Choose from some of the best ﬁsh and chip shops in New Zealand, the Akaroa Bakery, or sit a down restaurant meal.
- After lunch a guided walk through the lovely Akaroa village will introduce you to the quaint shops and galleries, as well as a visit to the main town wharf to view the unique blue pearls which are grown locally.
- Return to Christchurch via the scenic summit road to see the Paciﬁc Ocean from the top of Banks Peninsula
- Drop off at Christchurch accommodation.
Pricing and Inclusions
$900.00 NZD based on two passengers
Includes private guiding with your local, lunch with drinks and morning coffee or tea with mufﬁns
$1750.00 NZD based on two passengers in a suite at The Worcester owned by Tony and Maree.
Includes two nights accommodation, two breakfasts, evening drinks plus the above day tour
ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS IN CHRISTCHURCH (not included in tour price)
The Worcester of Christchurch - Luxury Option
Built in 1893 this beautifully preserved heritage house, is furnished in classic Victorian style, complete with a superb collection of fine art and antiques. Luxurious suites elegantly furnished in the heart of Christchurch. This accommodation is owned by Tony & Maree – our Locals & Landscapes guides.
Orari B&B – Standard Option
Orari was built in 1893 for Annie Macdonald, widow of WK Macdonald of Orari Station - one of Canterbury's largest early landholdings. Orari has recently been restored and refurbished to offer heritage bed and breakfast accommodation in the heart of Christchurch. Orari is situated directly opposite Christchurch's new art gallery, within easy walking distance of cafes, the Arts Centre, the botanic gardens, museum, Hagley Park and golf course.
When you book our Locals and Landscapes Guides Tony & Maria a Donation of
$10.00 Per Person will be donated to The Willowbank Wildlife Trust. Click the
following link to see how your donation is helping New Zealand Encounters
Click here to find out how your Donation will help